Thursday, September 16, 2010

My Brother and Me

Yesterday my little brother Noah came and visited me in Ames. I'll see him again this weekend, and then possibly one more time in November before he leaves for his deployment. He's in the Navy, which means his deployment is via aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson. Noah claims he doesn't know where there deployment is going to be yet. At the very least, he will be gone for 7.5 months. I HATE WHEN HE'S GONE! I like to be able to just call him up or shoot him a text whenever I'd like and receive a response within a hours or minutes. I really hate that I won't be able to skype him. Unfortunately the only form of communication that we'll really have is email, and I swear 80% of the time the internet on the ship isn't working. He'll also call and check in every once in awhile; that is if I beg him enough times to do so in my emails ;) I already know that this is how it will play out because this is his second deployment. Luckily, his first one only lasted 3 months, and at that time it seemed like forever! Noah is basically my best friend, which makes me really sad to think about him leaving.

Noah and I didn't always get along so well. Actually, we used to hate each other's guts. In grade school there many times when our mom wouldn't even allow us to be in the same room because we fought so much. In high school it started getting a little better, and by the time I was a senior and he was a sophomore we were getting pretty close. I think we both realized that our sense of humors were very similar. He gets me, and I get him. If you knew us, you'd understand how special this is, because we're not exactly normal people. I mean we do normal things, and know the difference between what's normal and what's not, but we are by no means normal. I like to think that our sense of humor is one of a kind, or I guess in our case, two of a kind.

Like I said, yesterday Noah came to Ames to visit me. Of course I was annoyed with him before he even got here because he was running an hour behind schedule. This was something that I definitely should have expected, but sometimes I think we both enjoy being mad at one another. Doesn't everybody at some point or another? Anyway, when he got here we went to Old Chicago for lunch. Lunch was great, but the food was only average. We laughed almost the entire time. We went straight from Old Chicago to the Bass Pro Shop in Altoona. Boy oh boy do I LOOOOVE the BPS!!! We wandered around that place for well over two hours. I had a few things on my list, but naturally we spent nearly $400, only $50 of it being his purchases. I'm going bow hunting this year for the first time, so there are a lot of things that I need before the season starts. However, walking through a place like that makes you think you need things a lot more than you actually do; like a camo license plate holder, for example! Anyway, I had a great time with him there because we were laughing virtually the entire time.

Later last night, we went to Perfect Games in Ames with my roommates Mekell, Brooke, and Nathan, and our frousin (friend/cousin) David and played laser tag. The teams were Noah, Nathan and myself against Mekell, Brooke, and David. Obviously we won. Noah came in 1st, I was in 2nd, and Nathan was in 3rd. We had over double their points, which meant that we were pretty cocky at the end of the night.

Overall, I had a great day yesterday (most days when I skip class is a great day)! I'm very grateful that Noah was able to come and spend the day with me. I'm learning to appreciate all of the time that I'm able to spend with all members of my family. I think it's safe to say that I was extremely blessed with the family that I was born into <3

No comments: